Founded as Alma College in the Santa Cruz Mountains in 1934, the school opened as a theologate for Jesuits of the Oregon and California Provinces, becoming a pontifical faculty in 1945. In 1958, the theologate affiliated with Santa Clara University (SCU) as its School of Theology. In the midst of Vatican II (1964), the faculty asked to join the GTU. The school was admitted to the union in 1966, but the province was divided over its location, near the University of San Francisco. In 1969, authorities decided that the school would relocate to Berkeley. Opening for the 1969-70 school year, the school officially became the Jesuit School of Theology in Berkeley, severing its affiliation with SCU. The school reconnected in 2009 to become the Jesuit School of Theology of Santa Clara University.