Most of the buildings north of Ridge Road (more than 550 structures) burned in a great conflagration on September 17, 1923. The wind changed, sparing 2400 Ridge Road. Amazingly, no one died. In rebuilding the area, which had included many fraternities and sororities, Bay Area seminaries purchased property in order to be closer to the university and to each other. Later in the 1960s, university student chapters, with the exception of a few cooperatives, moved to the south side of the campus.