In 1854, Mission Santa Barbara was chartered as an apostolic college and continued in that capacity until 1885. From 1869 to 1877, the school also functioned as a college for laymen. In 1896, it began as a four-year high school seminary program. The high school and college departments became separate institutions in 1901 and 1929. Mission Santa Barbara remained the center for theological studies and continued to operate as a seminary until 1968, when the theological school moved to Berkeley as the Franciscan School of Theology. FST remained a member until the school relocated to become part of the University of San Diego in 2014.